Sunday, September 20, 2009

My favorite synthpop

I like synthpop. I forget from time to time. Years ago I spent a lot of time on a website called Electrogarden. It shut down for a while and then came back. I really should revisit.

Thought I'd share some of my favorites with you. This is not meant to be complete in any way, shape or form.

Erasure - probably the first group I liked that could be called synthpop. Everyone was familiar with them from their album The Innocents but I think their albums after that tended to go more synthpop.



Red Flag - My first college girlfriend got me hooked on these guys and I have more of their CD's than those of any other artist (I think eighteen). Red Flag was comprised of the Reynolds brothers. When Enigma Records dropped them, they formed their own label, Plan B records and started issuing their own albums in a very prolific manner. Because they controlled the label, their albums vary in quality as they pretty much released whatever they felt like working on. For example, the album Codebreaker T133 is entirely of songs done at 133 beats per minute. I like it. A lot of folk didn't. Mark Reynolds took his own life which is easily the most distressing celebrity death of my lifetime. Chris has released new music but he calls what he does now "dark industrial" and I don't care for it as much.



Leiahdorus - this is my most favoritest synthpop group and Wake is my favoritest song. They have a new album coming out soon and I am very, VERY excited.



Wave in Head - this "group" is German Michael Pohl. I love his albums as he does some of the songs in German.



Obscenity Trial - I've only recently come across these folks but I like them. The lead singer has a Dave Gahan sound about him. I also like the A-Ha style video for Daydream.



Enjoy.

No comments: