Saturday, January 31, 2009

Different venue

I'm going with a change of pace with my next couple cooking posts as I tried some things from Bon Appetit magazine. I don't think I had ever even looked at it before but the library began carrying it this month and the recipe I am posting today looked right tasty. It also involved sweet taters, which I love, and which Robb Wolf from Crossfit has been touting as a great post-workout food for replenishing glycogen levels. My workout and eating levels are all over the map right now but I'm trying to get back into a routine and drop some weight (yes, yes, I know. Second verse, same as the first. I'm not about to give up trying, though. I have no desire to balloon into the 300s or be inactive ever again).

This is an interesting recipe in that it has some Asian flavors to go with the sweet taters.

As an aside, a friend commented on how unappetizing my leek gratin recipe photos looked. I have to agree. There are three reasons for this, maybe more. One, I don't have a fancy camera. Two, I'm not a photographer and do not pretend to be one. Three, I don't care how my food looks. I'm going to masticate and swallow it in the not too distant future. I'm not selling it. Presentation of my cooking is not high on the priority list. What matters to me is that it tastes good. Good nutrition is often up there as well.

That being said, this is a pretty dish. The purple of the red cabbage with the orange of the sweet taters and the brown of the hoisin sauce is sort of pretty to me. Not sure if it will come through on the picture. It tastes good. I've already fixed it a few times.



2 T sesame oil
1 lb sweet taters in strips
1 medium red onion sliced
1/2 lb chicken in strips
1 T fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 c sliced red cabbage
3 T hoisin
3/4 c cilantro

I forgot the onion and cilantro when I made this the most recent time. Oops. That's what I get for trying to memorize a magazine article. It's a real easy recipe. The chopping is the most time consuming part. Heat the sesame oil and stir fry the sweet taters in it. When they start to get tender, add the chicken, onion, ginger and garlic. Once the chicken cooks add the cabbage and hoisin. At the end add the cilantro. Serve.

No comments: