Thursday, March 12, 2009

My house in the middle of the street

I've been doing a lot of work on my house lately. At the start of this blog I mentioned the work I was doing on the inside of the barn in an effort to turn it into a gym. I've also started working on the outside, stripping the paint to prepare it for a nice fresh coat.

I also yanked up all the plants that surrounded my "fish pond" in the backyard. It's a man-made pond but, like pretty much everything involved with this house, it wasn't taken care of by the previous owners. It was very overgrown with plant life that just didn't look good. Sawgrasses and crap like that. So I pulled it up. My intent is to plant native plants that will attract bees and butterflies. I need to figure out what exactly went on with the pond. My one neighbor swears that he had heard a pump running at some point but there's no electric outlets to be found. I did find a part of something that looked like a filter under the plants (along with four golf balls) but I'm still baffled as to how it might have worked or been powered.

Work continues to go on with the upstairs hallway, too.

All that being said, I like my house. One, it's mine. I picked it out and bought it. I knew there was work to be done but I think that was part of the appeal.

It took me some time to really admit I liked it. Living in it without the boowahs was a tough adjustment and then my Dad made some hurtful comments concerning the house which took me some time to get over. Add in the work and I probably was more despondent early on than anything.

It grew on me. I see a lot of myself in the house. It doesn't look like much but has immense potential and it really has a lot that is good about it. It just isn't apparent to everyone. It's not as old as it looks. It has quirky charm. I'd say it probably doesn't fit in with the other houses.

The house and the property are different. I have more land than most of the houses on the street.

I also like the area. People up here are so much more friendly than in Delaware. This is the closest feeling to home I've ever had in a place of residence.

My mind isn't really into this so I'll stop. I just wanted to get started writing again.

No comments: