Thursday, March 19, 2009

I plead insanity



Love this song.

My friend Danielle recently called me insane. We hadn't talked in a little while and I had failed to tell her that I had applied and was accepted into my third master's degree program and that I had edited a book. Sometimes I forget minor details about my life that way. Whether the insanity comes from me just sort of doing this stuff or from the fact I don't think much of it is a question.

Spring is on Friday and I am embracing it and viewing it with trepidation. There's a lot of stuff I want to get done before Labor Day so I've got less than six months. What do I want to do between now and then?

1. Finish converting the barn to a gym. I'm making slow progress but it is getting there.
2. Finish the upstairs hallway. Ditto. The paint is almost off the walls. Then I have to prime, paint and put in new carpet.
3. Row a marathon. April 16-30 is Concept2's Global Marathon Challenge. A half-marathon is the most I have rowed. I'm going to do a full one and I hope to do it in under three hours.
4. Deadlift 500 pounds. For the most part, I'm content with getting stronger and I don't think too much about times and weights (OK, with rowing I do a bit). The 500 pound deadlift is a round number that appeals to me, though, and one I really want to achieve in the next six months.
5. Drop fat. I don't know what I weigh right now. I do know I've lost weight. I want to be buff. I'm tired of being overweight and having all this good muscle hidden.
6. Get started on writing a book. Fear of not being "good enough" has kept me from writing a book. Enough is enough.
7. Miscellaneous paperwork. I've got a committee newsletter, a grant application, a application to have my house registered as a historic place, taxes, and I'm sure a handful of other things I need to complete.
8. Garden. Veggies, herbs and plants that attract butterflies and bees.
9. Find full-time employment. This is a topic unto itself.
10. Two things I don't want to talk about right now.

See how I can overlook stuff? I've got a lot on my mind. That doesn't include my current job, boowah activities, eking out an existence on what little income I have, etc., etc., etc.

I think really that's the argument I'm trying to make. I don't think my life and the variety of activities I pursue is anything special. My choices are pretty different from most folk but I certainly don't bear a greater burden than your average person. So maybe I'm not insane. My interests probably are. I don't know. I just like the feeling that I can do all sorts of fun things.

How about you? Any things you want to accomplish this spring/summer?

No comments: