Saturday, March 21, 2009

Eating on the road

No, I'm not talking roadkill. By the time this is posted, I will be on my way to the City of Angels to catch the semi-finals and finals of the World Baseball Classic.

I was out in L.A. back in September (first time in my life I was there) and I enjoyed some really good food. My first experiences with In-N-Out and Carl's burgers. Some nice cold udon noodles at a Japanese place. Awesome gelato. Fish tacos. And to top it all off, I ate at Mario Bartoli's restaurant, Osteria Mozza. My next "cooking" post will be about the things I eat while I'm in L.A.

That being said, I'm going to spend every evening I'm there at Dodger Stadium so it might not be as varied and fancy as last time. But I'm sure I'll be able to report on the ballpark food there.

Ballpark food generally isn't too exciting for me. Almost all the time, I like to eat a hot dog at the game. A hot dog just tastes better at a ballpark. The one exception, and it may have changed since I was there seventeen years ago, was Kinston, North Carolina. They had the scariest hot dogs ever. They were a very unnatural, glowing pink and tasted horrible. I shudder to this day.

Otherwise I cannot think of anywhere that really stood out. Well, maybe a hot dog I had at Old Comiskey Park. That was pretty tasty. And I can't think of any non-hot dog food that was good. Nachos at old Arlington Park in Texas were awful, especially since I was in Texas. Everything else is nondescript.

No comments: