Saturday, April 4, 2009

Bringing the heat

I have a Suzanne Goins cookbook that has a lot of good recipes in it. The only problem is that the recipes either take a lot of time or take some fancy schmancy ingredients. I had it in mind that I was going to fix a recipe using chuck steak. Once I got around to fixing it, though, I found that it both took a lot of time and needed more ingredients than I had on hand.

I looked for something else online and came across a chili recipe that used the chuck steak and some poblanos. I loves me my poblanos but I do tend to forget how spicy they make stuff in which they simmer.

Easy enough recipe. Cut up the meat (about three pounds worth), coat it in about a tablespoon of chili powder and brown the meat in a Dutch oven. Heat an oven to 325. Put two cups of liquid (I used water) in with the meat and stick the whole thing in the oven until the meat is cooked (about an hour and a half). Take the Dutch oven out and put it on a stove burner. Get it simmering and add two chopped poblanos, two cans of diced tomatoes (I used tomatoes with chipotle) and some chopped onion, another two cups of liquid and 1.5 cups of rice. Cook until the rice is done.

It had some kick which was tempered nicely by adding some grated farmer's cheese to it. A different take on chili by using rice instead of beans. Pretty nice dish and a good use of poblanos.

No comments: