Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Vegan recipe week, Tag Zwei


I had laid out a bunch of recipes I wanted to cook from the Veganomicon this week but I still have yet to acquire all the ingredients. As a result, I was faced with fixing a dinner for which I had yet to plan. I went with the Hot Sauce-Glazed Tempeh.

The recipe offers a bunch of both other recipes and simple foods to accompany this dish. I went with spinach and mashed taters and was happy with the choice.

I'm not normally fond of tempeh. I have eaten quite a bit of it in my lifetime but I cannot say it is one of my favorite foods. The last time I bought some it stayed in the frig for so long that the soybeans continued to ferment and the gasses inside the package caused it to balloon up. Not good.

This recipe, however, may change that. First off, I was struck that the first step is to boil the tempeh in water to get rid of the bitterness and make it ready for marinating. I had never heard that before and it seemed to work.

The marinade/glaze for the tempeh is very easy. Half a cup of wine (I used some ancient Georges DuBoeuf Beaujolais that has been hanging out in the frig since well before the last time I had tempeh), 1/4 cup hot sauce, 2 T olive oil, 2 T soy sauce, 3 T lemon juice, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 tsp cumin, 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper. I marinated the tempeh for about an hour and then broiled it in the oven. It was delicious. I was expecting it to be really spicy but it ended up having a nice tangy flavor with a bit of a kick. The side dishes went well with it and I put some of the residual marinade from the tempeh pan onto both the taters and spinach. It was very filling. I only ate about 2/3 of what you see on the plate (which is probably suitable for two people anyway) and I was eating way past my standard dinner time due to a busy schedule (as opposed to the recipe taking eons) and was hungry.

Definitely will eat this again and I think I may cook up some chicken in the next day or two with the leftover marinade.

No comments: