Thursday, February 26, 2009

Still running behind

OK, vegan recipe week hasn't been as good idea as I thought. Not because of the recipes - those have been awesome - but because I haven't had time to cook and write about them plus my camera has been less than enthusiastic about letting me put my picture online. I can see them on the camera itself but letting you see them? Forget it.

So day four of this, which is being posted Saturday but will be dated Thursday, was yet another delicious and unusual recipe. Pineapple-cashew-quinoa stir fry.

This was also another easy recipe to make, mostly just chopping. Open a can of pineapple chunks in pineapple juice. Drain the juice into a saucepan. Add a cup of water and a dash of soy sauce. Add a cup of quinoa and bring to a boil. Cook until done.

Saute a pair of scallions, a pair of garlic cloves, a serrano chile, some fresh ginger, a red bell pepper and a cup of peas in some oil. Add basil and mint. Add the quinoa, pineapple and cashews. Add 3 T soy sauce and 1 T mirin.

That's how I made it. They like things in a different order and also added a few tablespoons of vegetable broth at the end.

Lots of flavors going on. Really didn't need the mirin as all the pineapple made it sweet enough. The serrano gives it a nice heat. The cashews give good texture. Just an all around nice recipe that you can whip up pretty quick.

No comments: