Friday, February 27, 2009

Almost there

The last recipe for vegan cooking week is a dessert. The ridiculously named fudgy wudgy blueberry brownies. A better name for them is delicious.

Since I'm not vegan, I'm not going out of my way to get vegan chocolate and a bit of soy milk.

Preheat oven to 325. Grease a brownie pan. Melt 2/3 c chocolate chips. In a bowl mix 10 ounces of spreadable blueberry fruit, 1/4 c milk, 3/4 c sugar, 1/2 c oil, 2 t vanilla extract and 1/2 tsp almond extract (I added more vanilla). Add 1.5 c flour, 1/4 c cocoa powder, 1/4 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp salt. Mix in the melted chocolate. Add 1/2 c chocolate chips and 1 c blueberries. Put in pan and bake for 45 minutes.

Since there's no egg, more oil is used to hold it together. I worried that the brownies would be greasy but they were pleasantly moist and not greasy at all. The blueberries add a nice touch and is another example of what this cookbook does well - add flavors, often unexpected, to make something even more yummy than normal.

Really, I would make these before I ever made regular brownies again. But then I'm the guy who brought in a chocolate tofu cake to work for my birthday so caveat emptor.

No comments: