Wednesday, April 6, 2011

More Tim Collins

I got all excited on Monday when Ned Yost let Tim Collins pitch the final three innings of a game against the Angels. Collins allowed two hits and struck out five batters, earning the win when Matt Treanor (obligatory mention that Treanor is married to professional volleyball player Misty May) hit a walkoff homer in the thirteenth. I thought "Hey, Ned Yost realizes that Tim Collins is not just a LOOGY, he's a dominant reliever with the stamina to be used over long stretches". Tim Collins, throwback to the Goose Gossage era, that's what I was hoping.

But then Collins pitched today and only faced two batters, allowing an inherited runner to score on a Juan Pierre (how embarrassing) double before getting Gordon Beckham to bounce back to him to end the sixth. When the seventh came around, new reliever. Alas.

Collins is currently the youngest player in the major leagues. Not bad for an undrafted pitcher. I hope that Ned uses him appropriately.

Training update: Quite a day for me. Work, then a job interview. Left the interview and had a brutal headache which I didn't shake until evening. Had to take my son to baseball practice. Could not find headache free time to workout.

No comments: