Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Media mix of August 26th

[Listen] What song/group of songs would you use as a backdrop to your nightmares? Do you ever actually have songs playing in your head during your nightmares?


I rarely have nightmares. I also rarely dream of music. My most lucid dreams tend to have ambient sound - wind, birds, traffic. I cannot even think of when I last had a nightmare and what it was. Hard to come up with a soundtrack when you know nothing about the content.

[Watch] What is your favorite documentary?

I'll tell you the documentary I really want to see. Zidane. I do not care for soccer in the least but this movie looks terrific. I also want to see Helvetica.

Not to sound like a broken record, but I just don't watch a lot of movies. I struggled to think of documentaries I've seen and when I came up with some, none really struck me as being something I could remotely call a favorite. Then it hit me, though. I really enjoyed Thoth.



[Read] As a child, what was your most memorable character in a book?

Alan Mendelsohn, of Daniel Pinkwater's Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars is the most memorable character of my childhood by leaps and bounds, edging his bookmate Leonard Neeble. Slippery Jim DiGriz of Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat series is in the hunt but loses out because of some boring stories. Fritz Leiber's duo, Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser stick in my head from the Dungeons and Dragons type of stuff. Moving into the high school years, Lestat and Louis from Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. Sherlock Holmes has been in my life for longer than I can remember. Rabbi David Small of Harry Kemelman's Rabbi Small detective series was enjoyable. Hmmmm.....what other memorable characters of my youth can I memorate?

Oh, Conrad Stargard. He was a cool guy in Leo Frankowski's books. Frank and Joe Hardy.

It would seem that the majority of characters I remember from my childhood comes as a result of my reading about them in many books. Mendelsohn and Neeble seem to be the only one book characters.

1 comment:

--Transfixed Ingress said...

I strike this post as non-responsive.