Monday, January 12, 2009

Congratulations Rickey (and the other guy)

I'm not sure that there's any voting that is a farce on some level. I'm also not sure if that has always been the case or if it's just recently. The baseball Hall of Fame voting has been a mess for a considerable amount of time and the induction of Jim Rice into the Hall of Fame today did nothing to remedy that.

More of an uproar than Rice getting in is Rickey Henderson not being elected unanimously. Frankly, I don't see the big deal. He's in. He should be. The fact that a few guys did not vote for him just further illustrates how flawed the process is. No one remembers how many votes anyone gets.

I read something today that said something along the lines of "As far as I'm concerned, my Hall of Fame is in my head". That's true.

I mean, for me, one of the coolest things about Rickey Henderson being elected to the Hall of Fame is that he's the first player to have played in the Atlantic League to be headed to Cooperstown. That's awesome.

No comments: