Sunday, January 18, 2009

Belated cooking post

My water lines were frozen yesterday and so I had more pressing concerns than posting a recipe - thawing them without breaking them and being able to take a shower again.

It didn't help that I wasn't very creative this past week with my meals. The one new thing I tried I didn't much care for. It was a Deborah Madison recipe (gasp) for a soup made from poblano chilies. I like spicy food but this was too much for me. It was good, just not something I felt like eating a bowl (and definitely not two) of.

I just fixed myself a tasty lunch, though, and thought I would share that. Nice and easy and tasty. I took some chicken breast and cooked it up. Mixed it with nonfat mayo and sour cream, curry powder, celery, dried apricots and almonds. Nice mix of textures and flavors. I ate it right after the chicken had been cooked so I had some nice temperature contrasts as well between the hot chicken and the cool dairies.

Chicken salad has become a favorite of mine over the past couple of years. I like seeing what I and others can do with it. I'm a bit of a grocery store chicken salad connoisseur. In Lancaster County my favorite is the Market Basket chunky chicken salad. They also have a non-chunky which is more like a chicken paste. Don't care for that too much. Don't like Giant's salad bar chicken salad. Dark meat. Too much egg (really, any egg is too much with chicken salad. I like hardboiled egg in tuna salad, not chicken). Weis' chicken salad is pretty good. Dutch Way, like pretty much all of their prepared foods, is right tasty. I don't know what it is but I often find myself in a grocery store and just having a craving for chicken salad. I could certainly have worse cravings.

No grocery store chicken salad compares to what I just made, though. Try it out sometime. Go ahead. You'll like it. I guarantee it or I will refund every penny you spent subscribing to my blog.

No comments: