Thursday, May 5, 2011

Baseball Book Draft Wrap-up

I want to thank Jason and Mark for taking part in the draft. We had a lot of fun and got a nice little reading list out of it. There were a lot of good books selected. I asked them both for some honorable mention candidates and a book that they haven't read that they have wanted to but haven't gotten around to yet. Here are those choices:

Jason:
Honorable mention:
You Know Me Al by Ring Lardner
Golem's Mighty Swing by James Sturm

To read:
Willie's Time: Baseball's Golden Age by Charles Einstein

Mark:
Honorable mention:
Diamond Ruby: A Novel by Joseph Wallace
Brushing Back Jim Crow by Bruce Adelson
Negro League Baseball by Neil Lanctot
Wild and Outside by Stefan Fatsis

To read:
The Catcher was a Spy by Nicholas Dawidoff
The Only Game in Town by Robert M. Garrow
SOB: Southwestern Outlaw Baseball by Chuck Pederson

Me:
Honorable mention:
If I Never Get Back by Darryl Brock
Pure Baseball by Keith Hernandez
A Tale of Four Cities: Nineteenth Century Baseball's Most Exciting Season; in Contemporary Accounts by Jean-Pierre Caillault

To read:
The Pitch that Killed by Mike Sowell

For those who followed along, I hope you enjoyed it and got some good books out of it.

3 comments:

Mark Aubrey said...

Jon, I had a blast doing this. Thanks for putting it together, Mr. Commissioner.

I summarized the results on my blog.

TheBrooklynMet said...

Hey, this was awesome. Though I did think it would have been cool to have separate fiction and non-fiction drafts. Since this particular draft seemed heavy on the non-fiction, let me know if you ever want to do a purely fiction one. (I was surprised that nothing by WP Kinsella made the draft). Also, if you are ever interested in fictional baseball literature analysis, I'd highly recommend the book: The Great God Baseball.

jtorrey13 said...

Ooops - my to read got confused with my last pick. My to read was "The Soul of Baseball" by Joe Posnanski. Also, "Feeding the Green Monster" by Rob Neyer, if we are adding more than one.

It was great fun. I have a lot more baseball reading to do.