Friday, March 4, 2011

These are a few of my favorite baseball things #2 - Mike Schacht artwork

It occurred to me as I started thinking about my favorite baseball things that you're probably going to be hearing a bit about my ex-wife. This is to be expected in a way. It's pretty difficult to spend over fifteen years with someone and not have them impact your life. Most notably, I probably wouldn't have the baseball library I do without her. That, though, is a story for another day.

Today's story involves art. My ex is an artist. She never produced any baseball art for me. She did, however, acquire some art-related objects for me over the years.

Mike Schacht was an artist and a member of SABR for many years. His artwork was used in a variety of publications, including many SABR publications (this one of Nap Lajoie is the one I always think of when I think of Schacht):



In addition to being a talented artist, he was a really nice guy. He passed away in 2001 at the age of 65 after a battle with cancer.

Over the years, my ex acquired these two prints for me as well as a signed copy of Schacht's book Mudville Diaries. The book is a collection of work from Fan magazine. She engaged with Mike more than I did and always speaks highly of him.

The first print was one of Old Comiskey Park (which I can call Comiskey Park. I just never call New Comiskey U.S. Cellular). Wait a minute....you learn something every day....This isn't a Mike Schacht work. It's still a favorite thing. I cannot make out who the signature is. I was checking it to see the print size and was surprised to see it as 950. That's large for a Schacht print. It's not Schacht. It is Comiskey Park:



The other is a Mike Schacht print, limited to 200 copies, of Hall of Famer Ty Cobb.



While the Lajoie image is the one that comes to mind to me, I love the Cobb one best. The shadows, Cobb's stare, the red background, the edge of the bat in the corner. I don't know that you could capture Cobb's essence any better.

There's my artwork collection. Next time we'll almost finish looking at stuff on the walls by checking out some cool photographs.

No comments: