Thursday, March 31, 2011

From fat old man to endurance athlete in six weeks

OK, the title of this post might be a little disingenuous. I'm not all that old. I turn 40 at the end of April, an event that has me feeling old, not because of the round number milestone, but because of something else I'll share in a future post.

I am overweight. You know that if you read this. But fat? I don't know. Probably. Regardless of how I label my weight, it's too much.

And it's not like I'm a couch potato. It wasn't that long ago (3.5 years) that I earned my black belt in karate. It wasn't that long ago (2.5 years) that I was probably in the peak physical condition of my life. It wasn't that long ago (four weeks) that I rowed a quarter marathon. I hiked across Delaware in the fall. I've biked more centuries (100 mile rides) in my lifetime than I can recall. I've got some athleticism. I've just let myself go.

So I'm going to see what I can do with six weeks of intense dedication to training. Early May is Concept2's Global Marathon Challenge. My goal is to finally row a marathon. Either May 13th or 14th, depending on my schedule. I know I can do it physically, right this minute. The mental aspect of three hours on an indoor rower, playing headgames with myself, telling myself I feel tired or slow or heavy, that's the challenge for me.

That's where I stand. I'm going to use this space to record my efforts. Putting myself out there in public hopefully will help. Maybe I can be inspiring to others. Feel free to encourage me. Ask questions, what have you. We'll see what an "average Joe" with a plan can do in a month and a half.