Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Something that was never a favorite thing - Charlie Sheen edition

I'm not exactly sure how this happened but I got to thinking about a purchase I made way back in the day, before I had kids, before I had really gotten into baseball memorabilia. Wait, I know how this happened. It was Mark again. He had a post the other day about an auction and that made me think of it.

It was my first auction, long before the internet. I had received a catalog from some place, probably someone who had bought SABR's mailing list. For whatever reason, I got it in my head that I wanted to be the owner of a movie-worn Charlie Sheen undershirt. It was white with blue sleeves. Like he wore in this scene:



Sheen had signed it with the inscription "Go Irish!". Like I said, I don't know why I decided I wanted it. But like a moron, I called the place and was talked into putting in a ceiling bid, pretty much guaranteeing I would get it. Well, I did. And I paid so much for it, I thought I would be sick. That feeling lasted for years. When I got it, I couldn't bear looking at it and kept it in a box. Finally, I had had enough and donated it to SABR with instructions to do with it as they pleased and to not ever tell me about it. I didn't even want the tax deduction.

I almost wish I did have it now. I can't imagine that the value of Sheen memorabilia isn't at its peak. But then again, I doubt the amount I could sell it for would have eradicated the fifteen plus years of buyer's remorse I would have suffered.

1 comment:

--Transfixed Ingress said...

Wonder if it got any of his 'Tiger Blood' on it? It would be worth a fortune.