Sunday, May 24, 2009

I can't not not quit

Mood change. My muse, who/which/that was being unmusely this past week, is back being musey again.

Plus, the reason I keep a blog is largely due to my own interest in exploring my interests and thoughts and hopefully inspire others or share my experiences. So what the heck.

I don't understand my brain. I don't know why I think the way I do, why certain things pop in my head, etc., etc.

Case in point. Bizarre tunes from the eighties that have entered my head uninvited, unrelated to anything, all this week.

First, and most confusingly, the theme from Cagney and Lacey.



I don't think I ever saw this show. I only know the song from playing it in band when I was in high school. I wasn't thinking of high school, female detectives, television theme songs, wasn't thinking of James Cagney or Lacey Underalls or anything else that might make me go, "Oh yeah, that's why that song popped in my head". I was just standing there and all of a sudden I'm singing that song.

Now you might argue that that song is not the most confusing as Baltimora's Tarzan Boy also crept into my skull this week.



This next one requires clicking the link. There's an embedded version on YouTube without the introduction but you need the introduction simply because of the "I don't suppose you want to take a ride on my yacht" lead-in.

So now I'm trying not to think of inexplicable eighties songs and just like when you're trying not to think of waterfalls and fountains and dripping water and such when you need to go to the bathroom, not thinking of inexplicable eighties songs leads me to think of Terence Trent D'Arby.



I'll add a fifth one even though the source of its thought origination is clear. My son is reading To Kill a Mockingbird in school and that led me to think of the Cutting Crew tune:



I love how times have changed. This is a more obscure Cutting Crew song so you might not know or remember it. But the video has been edited from the original song because of a bad word. Yes, in the first verse "bastards" has been replaced with "doubters". Imagine if South Park was subject to the same treatment: "They killed Kenny. You doubters!".

I mean, seriously, has anyone else thought of these songs in the past two decades? Anyone done Tarzan Boy in a karaoke bar? I guess someone has unless YouTube is some artificial intelligence entity because I managed to find all of them on there. Maybe there's hope for me after all.

No comments: