Friday, April 17, 2009

Group of 79 Project - Mike Marshall


I liked Mike Marshall as kid. True Dodgers fans remember fondly the infield of Cey, Russell, Lopes and Garvey. Me? I enjoyed the infield of Guerrero, Duncan, Sax and Marshall. They certainly didn't have the staying power (or fielding prowess, which is largely why they didn't have the staying power) of the former group. They could hit, though.

Marshall recently signed a couple cards for me through the mail. He is president of the Yuma Scorpions of the Golden Baseball League. Independent baseball, baby!

Interestingly, Baseball Analysts recently did this study of the location of home run balls hit since the 1950's. Turns out Marshall had the highest percentage of home runs hit to centerfield of any player during that era (31.6%). Pretty cool if you ask me.

Could that have something to do with the criteria of the Group of 79? Hmmmmm.....Things get interesting now. What do these three guys have in common? All white first basemen. Might be something there. Or maybe not. Also, there's one name between Long and Marshall. Who could it be? Evan Longoria? Mickey Mantle? Kevin Maas? Steve Lyons? Shane Mack? Wow. It could be a lot of guys. I didn't even mention the possibilities of it being native Hawaiian Mike Lum or native Delawarean John Mabry. I wish it were Fred Luderus. I liked him. It's not, though. It is someone I liked. Just not Fred Luderus.

No comments: