Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Wrapping up Catcher Was A Spy and the next baseball book club choice

If there's anyone else who wants to chime in with their thoughts on Catcher Was A Spy, please do so. Otherwise, I'm going to bring this one to an end and see if anyone is interested in another book. I think we had more readers than commentators judging from the post traffic.

I liked Mark's idea of doing Satch, Dizzy and Rapid Robert by Timothy Gay. I know Gay from SABR and he does nice work both researching and writing. He has also done a biography on Tris Speaker. I also think this would be a good choice in that we have some interesting characters in Satchel Paige, Dizzy Dean and Bob Feller. Lastly, I used this book to do research while I was at the Hall related to a question on Paige's barnstorming so I have a soft spot for it.


Other suggestions are welcomed as well but unless we get a couple "No way, forget it" comments, I'd like to make this the next book. You in?

4 comments:

--Transfixed Ingress said...

"No way, forget it"

(Do I have a second?)

--Transfixed Ingress said...

Good googley moogley I can't get a second. If I actually check this book out and try to read it, how much time do I have? (349 flippin' pages - and I don't even like baseball)

mr haverkamp said...

Sure, I'll go for this recc; and suggest we read a book authored by J Posnanski next (I already own them!)

Mark Aubrey said...

I'm flattered. Especially after slogging through "Catcher".

Can we start reading in March? I really am trying to finish the Berg book.