Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Toy Story 3

A whole bunch of interns (I think half of us) went to see Toy Story the night it opened here in Oneonta. Good flick. Andy is all growns up and is heading off to college. His Mom, in an apparent hurry to move his sister into Andy's room so she can have a sewing room, is having Andy pack up everything he owns to take to college, put it in the attic, or get rid of it.

Andy is much too old for Woody, Buzz and the gang but he has fond memories so he bags them up to put in the attic. Mom mistakes the bag for garbage and the toys are off across town.

They escape and end up in a daycare which looks like a dream come true. Lots of kids who want to play with them. No more lounging around in a toybox for years on end. Woody, though, loyal to the end, wants to return to Andy.

Adventures ensue. The movie was in 3D which may be the first I watched since I wet my pants when I was six watching Creature from the Black Lagoon. It wasn't that I was scared. My elementary school showed it after school but wouldn't let anyone use the restroom. I gave up on the movie to try and make it home to use the bathroom (I walked to school) but didn't quite get there. I don't think this is the reason I haven't seen any 3D movies since but I had no bladder troubles. Just thought I'd share.

This is the darkest of the three Toy Story movies by far. So much so that I would question bringing little kids. It was an excellent movie. It felt very new. They could have rehashed jokes or relied on references to the earlier movies but references were limited. It's fresh and there were some who went with us who had not seen the previous Toy Story flicks but still enjoyed this one.

Definitely go out and see it. I'm not for movies in theatres but I think this is a must see on the big screen.

1 comment:

jtorrey13 said...

Finally got to see it last night. Maybe it's just me, but I've never felt the connection to the Toy Story characters as much as some of the other Pixar characters. I had very high hopes after "Up" and I'm not saying it was bad, just not excellent.